11.27.2005

I Have No Camera!

I am still swallowing that fact. I sold the camera today through craigslist. I stepped outside myself, watching as I exchanged such a sentimental item for money. I reasoned that, to get the price I was asking, I had to sell it now with Christmas approaching.
A photographer with no camera produces no photographs. So for now, I am not myself. I haven't gone longer than 24hrs without a shot since we purchased it in July. I credit this camera with opening the door to the world of photography. I have a strong feeling that it will do the same for the ambitious lass who purchased it.

Canon Powershot S2 IS July 14- November 27, 2005.

Looking ahead, I have further researched my options for a future camera purchase. Without the hands on reviews and credible photo samples, it is hard to be completely sold on the new Nikon D200. However, given the company's recent entries into both the SLR and dSLR markets, its hard not to be wowed by their promises. The newer,
more expensive camera from Nikon has caused quite a stir among the photographers and photography publications and websites, but, nostalgia doesn't breed a great camera. I have looked into what the features offered will mean to me and honestly I AM EXCITED TOO!

When I first began looking into dSLRs I had no experience and relied heavily on what I was fed by publications and websites and the "must have" camera system was the EOS. Canon makes a great camera and I was plenty pleased with the Rebel XT I shot with and I still believe the 20d is one of the best cameras out there for those pursuing photography as a profession. I did look at the Nikon D50 then and loved the feel and price and SD support but it was as I used an slr that I started to better distinguish what is really important; image quality, lens selection, ease of use and comfort with equipment. One big selling point for the D200 is that it has advanced support for older lines of Nikkor lenses produced as far back as the 1970's. I got into researching high quality used lenses and the prices amazed me. The amount of money that can be saved on lenses justifies the price tag. Here is my preliminary list of future glass investments.
Nikon 300mm f/4.5 as low as $200 (for nature use)
Nikon 105mm f/2.5 Mirco as low as $250 (for macro use)
Nikon 50mm f/1.2 as low as $300 (for portrait/indoor use)
Nikon 75-150mm f/3.5 as low as $150 (for landscape use)
or possibly just the
AF-S DX VR 18-200mm F3.5-5.6G IF-ED Zoom-Nikkor as an all purpose utility lens.

Nikon D200 digital reflex AF-S DX VR Zoom Nikkor lensNikon D200 digital reflex camera

Other specs of note include the beautiful button layout as I can't stress how great it would be to not have to refer to the LCD menu to change settings while shooting. It is very fast, shooting at 5.2 fps. I haven't held it but if it is really better than the D50 or 20D I am sold on comfort. Presets, presets, presets! Fastest startup in its class,instant! And lastly two big things that most amatuers dont give thought to but are EXTREMELY important- metering (3d color matrix) and white balance(fine tunable per Kelvin scale).

I am excited but still not decided and I still have several things to consider before I buy, but it is hard to find much wrong with pursuing this purchase!

3 Comments:

Blogger RONIN said...

I'm drooling over the D200 also. I have a D50 (and also an N70) and I love it.

I probably won't actually get the D200 unless I actually start making money from my photography. But I am probably gonna get the 18-200 VR lens.

Tue Nov 29, 02:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Fack to Bront said...

Hi Christopher - I'm looking forward to my D200 being here around the 24th of December. I think it will be a great creative aid for many of us.

I'd add the 12-24mm to your list of must-haves on the lens purchase list ;)

Thu Dec 01, 11:00:00 PM  
Blogger Christopher said...

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out, i need a wide angle!

Thu Dec 01, 11:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home